President Trump called the death of Otto Warmbier, American student freed from North Korea, a “disgrace,” Tuesday.
“I think it’s a disgrace what happened to Otto,” Trump said during a pool spray alongside Ukraine’s president, adding that Warmbier should have been brought home sooner.
Many other politicians and public figures have also expressed dismay and outrage.
Warmbier, 22, passed away just days after he was returned home, following 17 months of detainment in North Korea. Doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center examined Warmbier last week upon his return to Ohio and reported that he had severe brain damage and was in a state of “unresponsive wakefulness.”
“It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home. Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died,” his parents Fred and Cindy Warmbier wrote Monday.
“Unfortunately, the awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible.”
The family added that they are also “at peace” and “at home.”
Many politicians and public figures have responded to his parents’ announcement, offering their sympathies and condemning the actions of North Korea.
President Trump offered his “deepest” condolences to the family and condemned the “brutality” of the North Korean regime Monday. In comments at the start of a meeting with top tech CEOs.
“A lot of bad things happened but at least we got him home to be with his parents,” Trump said. “It’s a brutal regime and we’ll be able to handle it.”
In an interview with CBS News, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that while it’s not clear if North Korea killed Warmbier, they have “heavy responsibility.”
“This had happened while Mr. Warmbier was in the detention of North Korean authorities,” Moon Jae-in said Tuesday. “But I believe it is quite clear that they have a heavy responsibility in the process that led to Mr….