PETALING Jaya (commonly called “PJ” by locals) has undergone tremendous growth since its origins in the 1950s. Formerly a rubber estate, PJ was developed with the purpose of diverting the population away from the capital Kuala Lumpur. As it grew and required the need of an administrator, PJ eventually becomed a city in its own right, ceasing to be part of Kuala Lumpur in the 1970s.
PJ, surrounded by Kuala Lumpur to the east, Sungai Buloh to the north, the capital of Selangor, Shah Alam, to the west, and Subang Jaya to the south – was granted a city status on June 20 2006. As population grew and businesses expanded, the public and private sectors started investing a few billion ringgit to develop the infrastructure and amenities in the area with roads, highways, light rail transit (LRT) systems, hospitals, shopping malls, hotels, schools, colleges, universities and entertainment centres.
Now known as satellite city, it is now home to various commercial and retail presence as well as houses more than 600,000 urbanites, all within an area of 97.2 sq km. It covers PJ South, PJ North and PJ West.
PJ South, from Section 8 to PJ Old Town, had the first settlements established around 1953. As PJ South progressed, PJ North, on the other side of the Federal Highway was developed.
An aerial view of The Azure Residences in Kelana Jaya. WCT PIC
PJ West came later covering Taman Mayang, Taman Seapark, Kelana Jaya, Damansara Intan and SS 1 to SS 25.
In PJ West, affordable opportunities still abound but property prices are driven up by newer developments.
The PJ West value map by Henry Butcher Malaysia shows that notable landmarks within and around PJ West include Tropicana City Mall (SS20), Menara Glomac (Bukit Kiara), Uptown Damansara (Damansara Utama), Centrepoint and First City University College (Bandar Utama), Kelana Jaya Medical Center, Parkland Commercial Center, Lincoln University College, Kompleks Sukan PKNS, Stadium MBPJ and Paradigm Mall (SS7), Giant and Unitar…