CIA Director Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoTrump: Maybe threat on North Korea wasn’t ‘tough enough’ CIA chief ‘hopeful’ for change in North Korea CIA director: Leaks ‘seem to be on the increase’ MORE in an interview Sunday said he has seen “no intelligence” suggesting that the United States is on the brink of a nuclear war with North Korea.
“I’ve seen no intelligence to indicate that we’re in that place today,” Pompeo told “Fox News Sunday.”
“This administration has made our policy very clear. We’ve engaged the world to support that policy,” Pompeo told host Chris Wallace.
In his first Sunday show interview since becoming the head of the CIA, the former Republican congressman from Kansas emphasized that the era of “strategic patience” with Kim Jong-Un is over.
“Each time they test another missile, or if they should conduct a nuclear weapons test, they develop expertise. They expand the envelope,” he said.
In a later interview with CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Pompeo said containment does not make sense for a North Korea policy.
“President Trump finds that unacceptable,” Pompeo said, referencing an op-ed by former national security adviser Susan Rice that said the United States could “tolerate” a nuclear North Korea.
Pompeo’s interviews come after a week of tough rhetoric from President Trump and other Cabinet officials about North Korea’s nuclear ambitions.
Trump last week promised “fire, fury and, frankly, power” should Pyongyang threaten the U.S., while Secretary of Defense James MattisJames Norman MattisMattis tours Amazon headquarters during West Coast swing Trump: Maybe threat on North Korea wasn’t ‘tough enough’ CIA, other agencies agree with assessment on miniaturized N. Korean nukes: report MORE urged North Korea to end “any consideration of actions that would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people.”
–This report was updated at 10:52 a.m.