LOGANVILLE — After rain on Tuesday put a halt to the first round of events in the Region 8-AAAAAAA track championships, the finals concluded on Thursday with a marathon of events at Grayson High School.
On the boys side, Archer took first place in three events and second in seven more to take the team championship with 150 points, well ahead of South and Shiloh, who each finished with 107.
Sam Wright claimed two of those region titles with wins in the discus and shot put, while Daniel Surman cleared 14 feet to win the pole vault.
But it was the seven runner-up finishes that fueled the Tigers as no other team had more than three.
In all, Archer qualified 17 for the upcoming State Sectionals at Mill Creek High School.
Shiloh and South also won three events with Julian McDuffie winning both the triple jump (46 feet, 5.5 inches) and 300m hurdles (36.84). Shiloh also won he 4x400m relay in the last event of the night.
For South, Terrell Smith ran 10.58 to win the 100m run, while the 110m hurdles went to Antuane Dennard at 14.39. The Comets also took first in the 400-meter relay.
In the girls competition, Shiloh claimed first place by winning eight events and taking second in five more to tally 156.5 points, well ahead of second-place Archer at 122.
Shiloh had three girls win multiple events in Ronje Williams (long jump and high jump), Jazmine Hobson (triple jump, 200m run) and Aweng Mawien (100m and 300m hurdles).
The Generals were also strong in the relays by winning both the 400 and 1,600-meter relay.
For Archer, its three wins came from Kyleeyah Whitehead in the 100m run, Grace Carpenter in the 800m run and Kelley Connerley in the 1,600m run.
Grayson, which was third at 109, was led by wins in the both the shot put and discus from Natasha Stamp, while Adriahna Mirus was first in the pole vault and Kayla Langston first in the 3,200-meter run.
South also had a region champion in Keena Cordell in the 400m run.
The Class AAAAAAA state sectionals will be on April 29 at Mill Creek.
Region 8-AAAAAAA Champiosnsips
1. Jereme Faison, Rockdale, 21-10
2. Greco Battles, Shiloh, 21-4.5
3. Adrian Compton, South, 20-09
4. Sayyid Grant, Newton, 20-08
5. Christian Vinson, Archer, 20-7
6. Braylen Weems, Archer, 20-7.5
7. Jaden Woods, South, 20-3
8. Darren Stephens, Rockdale, 20-3
1. Sam Wright, Archer, 60-8.75
2. Walter Klima, Archer, 48-6.75
3. Jeremiah Bundrage, Newton, 48-3.75
4. Abi Okonji, South, 47-4.75
6. Jordan Reed, Newton, 44-6
7. Charlie Cunningham, Rockdale, 43-1
8. Isaac Dowling, Shiloh, 42-10.5
1. Sam Wright, Archer, 139-06.50
2. Jordan Reed, Newton, 124-02
3. Travon Clay, Newton, 122-05
4. Desmond Dunson, Rockdale, 121-06
5. Austin Thomas, Archer, 120-10
6. Chira Levy, Grayson, 111-04
7. Deonte McNair, 111-02.50
8. Maurice Banks, Rockdale, 109-00.50
1. Sundi Washington, Rockdale, 6-06
2. Antuane Dennard, South, 6-02
3. Isaiah Miller, Newton, 6-02